So the master bedroom.. needs help!! I haven’t really done anything in there since we moved in. No paint on the walls, very little hanging on the walls. What is on the walls goes with the bed-set that was handed down to me by my mom. Did I mention the bedroom set was also passed on to me from my mom? I have never purchased furniture for the bedroom that I picked out. Ever. So it’s time to remedy that. Enter: inspiration and Pinterest of course. I have been looking for ideas and inspiration on what I would really like in that room. It is a large room, but we have lots going on in there.
Here is the furniture in that room now:
2 night stands
long dresser with mirror
large cabinet my father made
crib 1 lg & 1 sm dog crate
small cheap bookshelf
bowflex workout bench
Yea… all that in that room. It’s a little much, and it’s hard to arrange. It’s pretty much everything against the walls. Bleh. Here are some pics of how it was a month ago, I did rearrange it, putting the bed in the middle of that wall that has the crib and dresser. But I am still not happy with it.
As you can see… it’s not much to brag about. It has no personality, it isn’t cohesive with the rest of the house and it clearly needs help. So my plan is to put together a plan. lol Gotta start somewhere right?
I have been busy putting together some inspiration. One of the sites that I have learned through other bloggers is Olioboard. You can put together mood boards with all of the info on the pieces that you are using. Or you can upload your own photos, or use ones from the web that strike your fancy. There is also a site called MyDeco. I like that one as well, but Olioboard seems to be my go to. I finished this mood board up a little while ago. It seems that I may be getting closer to a plan. At least I have some colors that I like and feel will flow well with the rest of the house.
Now I am no expert, but I will try and explain what my thought process was with this room.
1. We want a platform bed. That is one thing we have always agreed on. This is not necessarily the one we want, but something similar I beleive would work.
2. I love pillows on a bed. So we need some pillows that bring in the dashes of color.
3. Rather than bedside lights, I have considered the lights that hang above the bed, or attach to the bed. This isn’t set in stone yet..just throwing around ideas.
4. The nightstands- not sure on these. I like that they have drawers and a little texture. This area has room for change for sure.
5. The dresser… I love it!!! I am going to look at a craigslist find Monday that looks very close to this. I may end up doing a different stain or even something along the lines of this Anthropologie dresser. Not sure. But I love the look of the dresser.
6. An ottoman/bench at the end of the bed… for storage and it grounds the bed since there is not footboard. This ottoman is not exactly what I want, but close.
7. The jute rug, added for texture and for a base for the bed.
8. Sheepskin rug…I would like to use one on each side of the bed, or maybe a throw over the ottoman. 9. I like this rug as well, so I’m on the fence what to use
10. These IKEA curtains, I like how bright they are.
11. Bamboo blinds for some texture
12. Oops, missed 12*how did that happen? runs through my mind as my 1 yr old grabs my leg again*
13. Some sort of hanging light. I am in love with the concept of a drum shade on a ceiling light, I may end up doing that. But these lights looked pretty neat.
14. The colors-walls a light grey, with accents in green, yellow, orange and red. Seems busy, but it will tie together well.
Here are some of the rooms that inspire me. Little pieces of them just draw me.
This bedroom is found at House Tweaking, I love how this is a repurposed material, and makes the space feel homey (not to be mistaken with homely).
This bedroom I love because it has a mix of styles that I like, it has clean lines which draws me in. This room can be found over at Young House Love
And this room I love because its a little retro, but it still feels relevant today. Love the yellows, and will def. be using some in my room.
This photo can be found over at House to Home.
My major inspirations on this decorating journey I am on can really be attributed to the blogs I read daily. Seriously, I am addicted to Young House Love, and Bower Power has helped a lot as well. I find myself on these blogs clicking links and reading for hours. It’s actually worse than that Pinterest addiction. So that’s that… it’s still kind of all over the place. Figuring out what really works for me, doesn’t get the snarled up nose from my husband, and ties into the whole look is taking time. I would love to find a piece of inspiration somewhere that will help bring it all together. The search is still on. Anyone else trying to put together a look or style(home or fashion)? Maybe revamping an old piece of furniture?