I believe I have finally done it. What might that be? I think I have figured out what I want the master bedroom to look like! That is seriously exciting stuff around here. So exciting that when I got home from work last night I rushed around the bedroom as soon as I got home and picked up(hid) all the junk that made it’s way into the bedroom and snapped some “before” pics. I took about, I don’t know, 20 angles. I want to be sure I have lots of comparison angles for when I am done. In case you have never seen my bedroom…. here is a very bad pic I took last year:
This picture shows you one thing…this room is bare boned~plain~in desperate need of help.
If you remember, back in October ‘11, I put together a post on my master bedroom. That was a beginning phase for me (not that I am a professional now), and it is kind of fun to look back and see where I have come from there. So here is the original mood board I did back then:
I had pretty much left it alone after that. I had ideas, but nothing really gave me that push to get started. I think I have found that “push”, two pushes actually. We need to get our house on the market, and that un-inviting bedroom is not going to be a selling point. The other? I have found what I really want to see in there!!
A designing trend I keep seeing is board and batten. I have seen it A LOT lately. It’s not new, been around for a long time. But I have seen it used recently in some really interesting rooms and ways. For example…Mandi at Vintage Revivals revealed her master bedroom not too long ago.
Check out that board and batten. It’s absolutely lovely. You can check those out here.
In this discovery, I decided to do another mood board, but from scratch. Here is what I came up with:
Do you see the similarities in the first and second? Besides the obvious bed of course. The color scheme stayed almost the same! Ahhh, I am getting somewhere. I also noticed that I still have a hanging light in there. I am totally loving the second mood board though. **My husband did veto the rug oh well, can’t win ‘em all** I will take a moment to explain what I am thinking and what I will use.
1. My color scheme: I love the bright colors with a light grey to bring it down a little. The orange may not be obvious, the teal either, but they will fit with my ideas.
2. That mid-century dresser I still need to redo, MUST go in here. The clean lines is what I love there.
3. The board and batten. It’s lovely, isn’t it?
4. A bright pop of color with lamps will allow for simple furniture.
5. A nightstand with a drawer I am thinking is a must. Something light, but no white.
6. The pretty rug… I was wanting this to bring all the colors of the room together. But in hindsight, it might be better for a more neutral rug anyway.
7. Pillows for the bed should be where the color is found - I am at a loss on bedding, that is where I am still working through options.
8. I love these pendant lights, and I saw a tutorial on how to DIY them that I am going to have to check out.
9. A simple platform bed should do, no need for a head board either.
10. Colorful, or 2 toned curtains that play on my color choices, I don’t want them to be the star of the show though. They will be up against the board and batten, so they will need to be bright.
11. This little red mirror is just a good example of the bright pops I want to see on the walls.
12. I have a large mirror that my mother gifted me(love it! thanks mom!) that I want to use as a floor mirror in the bedroom, along with a sitting area
13. Sheepskin rugs and throws are great for texture, so throwing one over the chair would be a great addition
14. A colorful little table to use in a reading nook…possibly a lamp as well?
15. And a cozy chair, one you can picture yourself curling up in to read a book.
16. Lastly, a piece I am working on…should be complete this weekend. Not spilling that one quite yet
So there you have it, a plan. Actually, ideas. But here is the plan:
Get those walls painted! Get that done as well as the board and batten.
Get the crib put away.
Re-arrange so that I can make a sitting area
Get that dresser done and in my room!
DIY pendant lights
make faux sheepskin rugs/throw
find a thrifted side table, as well as nightstands
get that mirror in the room and secured to the wall
DIY curtains and pillows
That’s a big list for a full-time working mom. But, it can be done. Hope my husband is reading that list, cause I’m going to need help (Heck, anyone who wants to come help is more than welcome!)
What have you been up to this week? Any epiphanies of your own?